• Dijon vs Lorient

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    This is a very close match-up. In 10,000 simulations Dijon won 35.8%, Lorient won 32.7% and there was a 31.5% chance of a draw. Overall, the average simulation score is Dijon 1.0 to Lorient 1.0. In simulation wins, Dijon averages 10.0 shots and 3.6 shots on goal. They average 1.9 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.4 in simulation losses. When Lorient wins they average 8.8 shots and 3.5 shots on goal. They average 1.9 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.3 in simulation losses.

  • Bordeaux vs Nice

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    There is a 31.1% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Nice, at 42.9%, are heavy favorites to beat Bordeaux who have a 25.9% chance. In simulation wins, Bordeaux upsets Nice by averaging 8.0 shots and 3.5 shots on goal. They average 1.8 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.3 in simulation losses. Overall, the average simulation score is Nice 1.2 to Bordeaux 0.8.

  • Puebla vs Cruz Azul

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    There is a 28.4% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Cruz Azul, at 47.3%, are heavy favorites to beat Puebla who have a 24.3% chance. In simulation wins, Puebla upsets Cruz Azul by averaging 6.3 shots and 3.0 shots on goal. They average 1.9 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.4 in simulation losses. Overall, the average simulation score is Cruz Azul 1.4 to Puebla 0.9.

  • Manchester United vs Liverpool

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    There is a 22.9% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Liverpool, at 52.3%, are heavy favorites to beat Manchester United who have a 24.8% chance. In simulation wins, Manchester United upsets Liverpool by averaging 8.3 shots and 4.8 shots on goal. They average 2.6 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.9 in simulation losses. Overall, the average simulation score is Liverpool 2.2 to Manchester United 1.5.

  • Willem II vs RKC Waalwijk

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    There is a 27.2% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Willem II, at 43.8%, are solid favorites to beat RKC Waalwijk who have a 29.1% chance at home. Overall, the average simulation score is Willem II 1.5 to RKC Waalwijk 1.2. In simulation wins, RKC Waalwijk upsets Willem II by averaging 7.7 shots and 4.0 shots on goal. They average 2.2 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.6 in simulation losses.

  • Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheffield United

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    There is a 28.7% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Tottenham Hotspur, at 57.9%, are heavy favorites to beat Sheffield United who have just a 13.4% chance to win at home. Overall, the average simulation score is Tottenham Hotspur 1.4 to Sheffield United 0.5. In simulation wins, Sheffield United upsets Tottenham Hotspur by averaging 7.5 shots and 3.4 shots on goal. They average 1.6 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.3 in simulation losses.

  • Reims vs Lille

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    There is a 28.6% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Lille, at 55.6%, are heavy favorites to beat Reims who have a 15.9% chance. In simulation wins, Reims upsets Lille by averaging 4.7 shots and 2.5 shots on goal. They average 1.6 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.3 in simulation losses. Overall, the average simulation score is Lille 1.4 to Reims 0.6.

  • Benevento vs Crotone

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    There is a 35.4% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Benevento, at 36.0%, are solid favorites to beat Crotone who have a 28.6% chance at home. Overall, the average simulation score is Benevento 0.9 to Crotone 0.8. In simulation wins, Crotone upsets Benevento by averaging 8.7 shots and 3.2 shots on goal. They average 1.7 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.3 in simulation losses.

  • Saint-Etienne vs Strasbourg

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    There is a 26.9% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Strasbourg, at 52.3%, are heavy favorites to beat Saint-Etienne who have a 20.8% chance. In simulation wins, Saint-Etienne upsets Strasbourg by averaging 7.5 shots and 3.5 shots on goal. They average 2.0 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.5 in simulation losses. Overall, the average simulation score is Strasbourg 1.6 to Saint-Etienne 1.0.

  • Genoa vs Atalanta

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    There is a 11.8% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Atalanta, at 84.7%, are heavy favorites to beat Genoa who have a 3.5% chance. In simulation wins, Genoa upsets Atalanta by averaging 2.7 shots and 1.8 shots on goal. They average 1.6 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.3 in simulation losses. Overall, the average simulation score is Atalanta 2.7 to Genoa 0.4.

  • Everton vs Aston Villa

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    There is a 26.5% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Everton, at 39.8%, are solid favorites to beat Aston Villa who have a 33.7% chance at home. Overall, the average simulation score is Everton 1.5 to Aston Villa 1.3. In simulation wins, Aston Villa upsets Everton by averaging 9.1 shots and 4.1 shots on goal. They average 2.4 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.6 in simulation losses.

  • Feyenoord vs Ajax

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    There is a 23.6% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Ajax, at 54.8%, are heavy favorites to beat Feyenoord who have a 21.6% chance. In simulation wins, Feyenoord upsets Ajax by averaging 11.1 shots and 5.4 shots on goal. They average 2.4 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.7 in simulation losses. Overall, the average simulation score is Ajax 2.0 to Feyenoord 1.2.

  • Sibir Novosibirsk vs Dyn. Moscow

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    Team Dyn. Moscow are solid 57.2 percent favorites over the Sibir Novosibirsk. The UHC Dynamo are favored by AccuScore simulations partly because they have a +2 edge in shots on goal and are projected for 33 shots on goal vs 30 shots for the Sibir. The UHC Dynamo goalie(s) have the edge in save percentage at 92.9% compared to the Sibir goalie(s) who have a forecasted save percentage of 92.1%. KEY PLAYER STATISTICAL DATA --- SAVES: Krasikov Alexei 30, Yeryomenko Alexander 28 SHOTS: Puustinen Juuso 3.5, Pulkkinen Teemu 4 GOALS: Puustinen Juuso 0.51, Jaskin Dmitrij 0.59 PTS: Ruohomaa Mikael has a 44% chance of scoring at least 1 point and Shipachyov Vadim has a 52% chance of 1+PTs

  • Nizhny Novgorod vs Bars Kazan

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    Team Bars Kazan are heavy 67.7 percent favorites over the Nizhny Novgorod. The Bars Kazan are favored by AccuScore simulations partly because they have a +9 edge in shots on goal and are projected for 37 shots on goal vs 28 shots for the Torpedo. The Bars Kazan goalie(s) have the edge in save percentage at 92.7% compared to the Torpedo goalie(s) who have a forecasted save percentage of 91.6%. KEY PLAYER STATISTICAL DATA --- SAVES: Tikhomirov Andrei 34, Bilyalov Timur 26 SHOTS: Zhafyarov Damir 3.5, Galiyev Stanislav 3 GOALS: Zhafyarov Damir 0.28, Dawes Nigel 0.46 PTS: Zhafyarov Damir has a 40% chance of scoring at least 1 point and Galiyev Stanislav has a 49% chance of 1+PTs

  • Lokomotiv Yaroslavl vs Tractor Chelyabinsk

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    Team Lokomotiv Yaroslavl are slight 53.7 percent favorites over the Tractor Chelyabinsk. The Lokomotiv are favored despite being projected for 28 shots on goal vs 33 shots for the Traktor. The Lokomotiv goalie(s) have the edge in save percentage at 94% compared to the Traktor goalie(s) who have a forecasted save percentage of 92.2%. KEY PLAYER STATISTICAL DATA --- SAVES: Konovalov Ilya G. 31, Will Roman 26 SHOTS: Paajarvi Svensson Magnus 3.2, Kravtsov Vitaly 4 GOALS: Paajarvi Svensson Magnus 0.37, Kravtsov Vitaly 0.56 PTS: Petersson Andre has a 45% chance of scoring at least 1 point and Hyka Tomas has a 35% chance of 1+PTs

  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs New Orleans Saints

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    Expect a close game with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers winning 51% of simulations, and the New Orleans Saints 49% of simulations. In close games, turnover margin is especially important. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers commit fewer turnovers in 58% of simulations and they go on to win 67% when they take care of the ball. The New Orleans Saints wins 71% of the simulations in which they commit fewer turnovers. Tom Brady is averaging 292 passing yards per sim. If he can have a great game with better than average passing yards and at least a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio (42% chance) then he helps his team win 60%. Drew Brees is averaging 289 passing yards per sim. If he can have a great game with better than average passing yards and at least a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio (30% chance) then he helps his team win 60%.

  • Utah Jazz vs Denver Nuggets

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    The Utah Jazz are slight 54.9 percent favorites over the Denver Nuggets. The Jazz are shooting 47.4 percent from the field and the Nuggets are forecasted to shoot 45.5 percent. The rebounding battle is pretty even with the Jazz projected for 44.8 rebounds vs. 44.3 for the Nuggets. The Nuggets are committing fewer turnovers at 13 vs 15.2 for the Jazz. The Jazz are making 11.8 three pointers on 36.8 percent from three point range. The Nuggets are making 10.9 three pointers on 36.2 percent. KEY PLAYER STATISTICAL DATA---PTS: Donovan Mitchell 23.7, Nikola Jokic 24.6 ASSISTS: Mike Conley 5.4, Nikola Jokic 9.3 REBOUNDS: Rudy Gobert 12.2, Nikola Jokic 10.8 SPORTS ODDS: Sportsbooks and handicappers have set the line at DEN -1.5 TOTAL 219.5. WIN-LOSS Utah Jazz 8-4 Denver Nuggets 7-5 ATS Utah Jazz 7-5 Sweat Barometer 1.5 Denver Nuggets 6-6 Sweat Barometer -0.3 OVER-UNDER Utah Jazz 2-9 Avg Over/Under Line -6 Denver Nuggets 8-4 Avg Over/Under Line 2.8 ACCUSCORE PICK RECORD - POINT SPREAD PICKS Utah Jazz 6-5 Denver Nuggets 5-7 OVER-UNDER PICKS Utah Jazz 8-3 Denver Nuggets 3-9

  • Chicago Bulls vs Dallas Mavericks

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    The Dallas Mavericks are solid 61.5 percent favorites over the Chicago Bulls. The Bulls are shooting 46.7 percent from the field and the Mavericks are forecasted to shoot 49 percent. The Mavericks have the rebounding advantage at 48.8 to 37.5. The Mavericks are committing fewer turnovers at 13.5 vs 15.3 for the Bulls. The Bulls are making 12.4 three pointers on 36.3 percent from three point range. The Mavericks are making 10.2 three pointers on 35.7 percent. KEY PLAYER STATISTICAL DATA---PTS: Zach LaVine 21.9, Luka Doncic 36.5 ASSISTS: Zach LaVine 4.8, Luka Doncic 11.1 REBOUNDS: Lauri Markkanen 6.1, Luka Doncic 10.8 SPORTS ODDS: Sportsbooks and handicappers have set the line at DAL -7 TOTAL 226. WIN-LOSS Chicago Bulls 3-9 Dallas Mavericks 5-6 ATS Chicago Bulls 8-4 Sweat Barometer 1.3 Dallas Mavericks 6-5 Sweat Barometer 2.5 OVER-UNDER Chicago Bulls 7-5 Avg Over/Under Line 9.3 Dallas Mavericks 2-9 Avg Over/Under Line -12.5 ACCUSCORE PICK RECORD - POINT SPREAD PICKS Chicago Bulls 6-5 Dallas Mavericks 5-5 OVER-UNDER PICKS Chicago Bulls 6-6 Dallas Mavericks 9-2

  • New York Knicks vs Boston Celtics

    17 Jan 2021, 00:00 CET

    The Boston Celtics are solid 65.7 percent favorites over the New York Knicks. The Knicks are shooting 45.1 percent from the field and the Celtics are forecasted to shoot 46 percent. The Celtics have the rebounding advantage at 47 to 44.3. The Celtics are committing fewer turnovers at 12.6 vs 13.8 for the Knicks. The Knicks are making 10.5 three pointers on 35.4 percent from three point range. The Celtics are making 12.4 three pointers on 36.5 percent. KEY PLAYER STATISTICAL DATA---PTS: Julius Randle 16.6, Jaylen Brown 25.6 ASSISTS: Elfrid Payton 4.6, Marcus Smart 5.7 REBOUNDS: Julius Randle 8.1, Jaylen Brown 7.1 SPORTS ODDS: Sportsbooks and handicappers have set the line at BOS -7.5 TOTAL 213. WIN-LOSS New York Knicks 5-8 Boston Celtics 8-3 ATS New York Knicks 5-8 Sweat Barometer 0.5 Boston Celtics 7-4 Sweat Barometer 2 OVER-UNDER New York Knicks 4-9 Avg Over/Under Line -7.5 Boston Celtics 6-5 Avg Over/Under Line 2.5 ACCUSCORE PICK RECORD - POINT SPREAD PICKS New York Knicks 7-6 Boston Celtics 5-6 OVER-UNDER PICKS New York Knicks 7-6 Boston Celtics 5-6

  • RB Leipzig miss chance to climb Bundesliga summit after draw at Wolfsburg

    Bayern Munich remain a point clear and have a match in hand at the top of the Bundesliga.

    16 Jan 2021, 23:44 CET

    RB Leipzig spurned the chance to move top of the Bundesliga after a 2-2 draw at Wolfsburg.


    Julian Nagelsmann's men were out to recover from last weekend's loss to Borussia Dortmund and went ahead in the fifth minute through Nordi Mukiele.


    Wolfsburg frontman Wout Weghorst headed in an equaliser in the 22nd minute and Renato Steffen's deflected shot put the home side in front before half-time.


    Defender Willi Orban, though, levelled things up again in the 54th minute, slotting in a rebound after Amadou Haidara's effort had been saved.


    Bayern Munich remain a point clear ahead of their home match against Freiburg on Sunday. Borussia Dortmund missed the chance to close up ground after they were held to a 1-1 home draw by relegation-battlers Mainz.


    Jude Bellingham struck the woodwork during the first half, but it was Mainz who broke the deadlock through a fine individual effort from midfielder Levin Oztunali just before the hour.


    Thomas Meunier equalised in the 73rd minute, scoring a first goal for Dortmund, and then Marco Reus spurned the chance to complete the comeback as he dragged a penalty wide.


    Danny Latza almost hit a late winner for Mainz, but his shot struck the post and rolled along the goal-line.


    Silas Wamangituka's stoppage-time penalty helped Stuttgart secure a 2-2 home draw against Borussia Monchengladbach.


    Lars Stindl had the Foals – who beat Bayern Munich last time out – in front from the spot in the 35th minute, but Stuttgart forward Nicolas Gonzalez equalised just before the hour with a fine diving header.


    Denis Zakaria, though, swiftly made it 2-1 in the 61st before there was late drama after VAR confirmed a penalty for Ramy Bensebaini's push on Sasa Kalajdzic – and Wamangituka stepped up to grab a point with what was the final kick of the match.


    Werder Bremen scored twice in the final six minutes to beat Augsburg 2-0, with Theo Gebre Selassie (84) and Felix Agu (87) completing the late show at the Weserstadion.


    Elsewhere, relegation-battlers Cologne were held to a 0-0 home draw by Hertha Berlin, while it also finished goalless between fellow strugglers Hoffenheim and Arminia Bielefeld.


    Paris St Germain went back to the top of the Ligue 1 table with a 1-0 win at Angers. New manager Mauricio Pochettino was not at the match, the former Tottenham boss is in self-isolation after testing positive for Covid-19.


    A well-taken volley from defender Layvin Kurzawa broke the deadlock with 20 minutes left, and was enough to send PSG two points in front of Lyon, who have a match in hand.


    Relegation-battlers Nimes climbed off the foot of the table with a shock 2-1 win at Marseille.


    The home side, beaten by PSG in the midweek Trophee des Champions, missed a first-half penalty when Florian Thauvin shot wide.


    Niclas Eliasson turned in the opening goal at the near post 10 minutes after the restart, and then knocked in a second from close range in the 58th minute.


    Dario Benedetto pulled a goal back with five minutes left, but there was to be no late drama as Les Crocodiles held on for a first win in nine games.


    In Serie A, Sampdoria came from behind to beat Udinese 2-1 with a late goal from Ernesto Torregrossa on his debut.


    Rodrigo De Paul had put the visitors in front in the 55th minute at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris. Claudio Ranieri's side, who had lost three of the last five four games, hit back in the 67th minute when Antonio Candreva converted a Panenka-style penalty.


    Substitute Torregrossa, on loan from Brescia, headed in the winner with nine minutes left. Bologna beat Hellas Verona 1-0 with an early spot-kick from Riccardo Orsolini to secure a first win since November 29.


    Torino were held to a goalless draw at home by Spezia, who played almost the whole game with 10 men following the early red card for Luca Vignali, which had been upgraded after a VAR review.


    In the Copa del Rey, Segunda Division promotion hopefuls Almeria thumped LaLiga strugglers Alaves 5-0.


    Umar Sadiq scored twice as Alaves saw midfielder Tomas Pina sent off in the 35th minute.


    Sevilla won 1-0 at Leganes with an extra-time goal from Lucas Ocampos, while in Saturday's late game Rayo Vallecano beat Elche 2-0.


    Real Valladolid needed extra-time to win 4-1 at Pena Deportiva, where Roque Mesa scored twice. Girona beat Cadiz 2-0, with a second-half double from Valery Fernandez.


    Levante needed penalties to get past Fuenlabrada, progressing 4-2 from the shoot-out after the tie ended 1-1 at Estadio Fernando Torres.

  • Brendan Rodgers delighted with Leicester’s battling display against Southampton

    James Maddison’s thumping first-half strike put the Foxes on course for victory before Harvey Barnes wrapped up the three points in stoppage time.

    16 Jan 2021, 23:15 CET

    Brendan Rodgers was delighted by the way Leicester dug deep to secure a hard-fought victory against Southampton and go second in the Premier League.


    James Maddison's thumping first-half strike put the Foxes on course for victory at an empty King Power Stadium, where Saints had made life tough from the outset.


     Ralph Hasenhuttl's absentee-hit side continued to push after the break as Leicester continued to flounder in front of goal, with Harvey Barnes wrapping up a 2-0 win in stoppage time.


    "It was always going to be a really hard-fought game," manager Rodgers said. "Southampton are a very good team, they've got good players, they work very hard.


    "I thought we were too passive in the first 20-25 minutes. We weren't running hard enough, getting to second balls and we weren't aggressive enough.


    "But then we started to find our way into the game, started to get around it and we talked about just doing the dirty side much better because then that allows you then to sustain your attacks more.


    "Youri (Tielemans) ends up playing a great pass and James does what he does best – lovely bodywork and then finishes really well.


    "(At) half-time we just reinforced it. Not every game of football in the Premier League is all about nice football. You've got to earn the right in the Premier League.


    "This is a league where you've got to fight like hell in every game to get the result and second half we were much, much better at that.


    "We were aggressive, created lots of opportunities and worked tirelessly in the game, so overall a very good win. Could have had more goals but delighted with three points."


    Gareth Southgate was in the stands on a night when English talent like James Justin, Barnes and Maddison impressed.


    The latter superbly rolled Jack Stephens and kept his cool from an acute angle to open the scoring, before handing out imaginary handshakes in a light-hearted response to focus on celebrations amid the Covid-19 pandemic.


    "Listen, we all want football to continue and we all have a responsibility to do that," Leicester manager Rodgers said.


    "My players here are absolutely brilliant. Everything they've done to be as professional as they can at what has been a difficult time.


    "What I said to them was 'look, there's a lot of negativity around celebrations so can we turn it into a positive?'


    "We obviously have to score but when we score just try and use it as a positive and let's see if we can social distance in our celebrations.


    "But, of course, I am happy that they can score and can celebrate. I think people watch it wanted to celebrate it as well in the right way."


    While disappointed to have lost on the road for the first time since the opening day of the season, Southampton boss Hasenhuttl could not have asked anymore from his absentee-hit side.


    "To be honest, it was the maximum we can give today for our style," said the Austrian, who was without the likes of Danny Ings, Jannik Vestergaard and Oriol Romeu.


    "I think we also had a few chances. The quality of the finish was the difference, I think.


    "Maddison's (shot) was fantastic, outstanding, and ours were not always the best but we also had a few situations where the goalkeeper made good saves.


    "We did the maximum we can do at the moment with the players we have, with the injuries we are facing with missing players.


    "It's the maximum we can do with these players, so I am proud of my team because they tried everything today against a strong side.


    "We forced them to have a good performance against us, especially in the first half we showed it was still possible to compete with them. We had more chances than they had in the first half.


    "But the maximum we can do in the end it's normal when you're run down and you take more risks then they counter."

  • Steve Cooper hails Swansea’s adaptability to get past difficult Barnsley

    Ben Cabango scored in the first half before Jamal Lowe wrapped up victory in the second half.

    16 Jan 2021, 22:47 CET

    Swansea head coach Steve Cooper was delighted with the way his side adapted to the conditions in a 2-0 win at Barnsley which sees them keep up the pressure on leaders Norwich.


    The hosts had the better of the first half before Ben Cabango gave Swansea the lead just before the half-time whistle was blown.


    Jamal Lowe added a second goal early in the second half.


    Cooper said: "A 2-0 scoreline away from home is always a brilliant result, especially in this league.


    "We had to work hard for it and it probably at times wasn't a pretty affair to observe. The pitch was difficult, the conditions were tough and the way Barnsley play. They try and keep you on the back foot and they're quite direct.


    "You've got to deal with that and if you don't, you can get caught in your own half. We had to show a different side today and fair play to the lads because we did it really well.


    "It was a fairly comfortable win. All our clean sheets have been team efforts but I thought he (Freddie Woodman) made a good save or two tonight.


    "There were blocks and running back and tackling so it was a real team effort to keep the ball out of our net."


    Victor Adeboyejo fired over from the edge of the area with Marc Guehi in close attendance. Adeboyejo was making a nuisance of himself and he was in the thick of the action again, firing in a low shot from the right-hand side of the area which was saved by Freddie Woodman at his near post.


    Callum Styles fired a low 20-yard drive on target, but it was straight at Woodman who made a comfortable save.


    Swansea took the lead against the run of play in first-half stoppage time when a long throw from Connor Roberts was met by a glancing header from Cabango, with the ball going inside Walton's right-hand post.


    A mix-up in defence between Michal Helik and Mads Andersen led to the visitors increasing their lead in the 55th minute, with Lowe seizing on the loose ball and shooting past the exposed Walton.


    Woodman then came to his side's rescue, making a superb save to keep out Callum Brittain's rasping drive.


    Walton was called into action at the other end, clawing away Roberts' curling free-kick.


    Barnsley head coach Valerien Ismael said: "It was a very strong first half and it was exactly the game plan. We fought very well and we create a lot of situations.


    "We controlled the game and just before half-time, we concede this goal. The throw-in was like a delivery, it was very good.


    "After that it was all about staying in the game and a stupid second goal kills us.


    "I'm frustrated about the second goal because I felt that we could have come back into the game, to win the duels and put the pressure on the opponent and to create the chances.


    "This mistake was completely stupid. It is easy to avoid. Just communicate and just clear the ball and we stay in the game.


    "If you make mistakes all the time it is so frustrating because it kills our performance.


    "The failure is on our side and we have to deal with it."

  • David Luiz convinced Arsenal are improving

    The defender says he can see signs of maturity in the squad.

    16 Jan 2021, 22:30 CET

    David Luiz believes Arsenal have started to show they are maturing as a side by winning games such as their FA Cup third round tie with Newcastle last weekend.


    The Gunners needed extra-time to secure a 2-0 victory in what proved to be a tight contest at the Emirates Stadium.


    The two sides meet in north London once again on Monday night when they clash in the Premier League.


    Arsenal missed out on a chance to move into the top-half of the table following a goalless draw at home to Crystal Palace on Thursday.


    But, while they could not find a way to beat the Eagles, Luiz pointed to the Newcastle win as proof the team are learning how to get the job done.


    "I think this shows our maturity," he said. "It shows how we understand how some games will go. We know that sometimes the games are going to be tough to score.


    "And of course, sometimes we're not going to win, but I think our team is improving a lot. We understand the management of the game.


    "Sometimes the game's going to be tight like it was against Newcastle in the FA Cup last week, but we were mature enough and we kept calm to win the tie."


    Luiz is one of the elder statesmen in the current Arsenal side as manager Mikel Arteta has looked largely to youth to turn around a wretched run of results before Christmas.


    The likes of academy graduates Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith Rowe have been key components to the upturn in results.


    But Arteta stopped short of calling for his more experienced players to come to the fore, insisting it is up to all of his squad to step up.


    "It doesn't make a lot of difference between the old and new," he replied when asked if he wants to see more guile from his older heads.


    "They are all good players who should be able to contribute in this way.


    "Because they are young doesn't mean they have no responsibility. They are picked in the eleven because they deserve to play more than somebody who is on the bench.


    "But I don't make the difference (with age). Everybody has to have the approach to the game that I am here and I am going to win it for the team."

  • Unbeaten runs of no interest to Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola

    City have not lost for eight games in the Premier League.

    16 Jan 2021, 22:30 CET

    Pep Guardiola insists he has not even thought about the wider significance of Manchester City's current unbeaten run.


    City have moved into strong Premier League title contention on the back of eight games without defeat, six of which have been victories.


    In a season presenting more difficulties than most, it has been a strong statement of intent by Guardiola's side, but the City manager claims he does not think about such things.


    "When we have had incredible runs I have never thought about how many wins or how many marathons we have to do to win something," said Guardiola, whose team host Crystal Palace on Sunday evening.


    "When we won 18 games in a row in the season we got 100 points, after the win in the second game we said, 'OK, let's try to win the next one'. Then the next one, then after that the next one.


    "I never expect my players to win a lot of games. I want to win the next one, and the next one is Crystal Palace.


    "This is the best way. When you dream you want to be top of the league, you want to be in a better position when you don't play good, you are not going to achieve it.


    "I don't care how many games we are able to win or not win in a row – absolutely zero. It is just Crystal Palace – Zaha, Eze, Benteke, Roy Hodgson, Milivojevic."


    Similarly, Guardiola says he has not thought about what result he might prefer from the top-of-the-table clash between rivals Liverpool and Manchester United which takes place before City's game on Sunday.


    He said: "Crystal Palace – it's the only thing I want, I want to beat them. The rest, honestly, I don't care. We will play knowing the result because they play earlier than us, but I don't know.


    "The last two seasons against Crystal Palace at home we got one point. That's why the only concern I have is winning against Crystal Palace."


    City are again without striker Sergio Aguero, who continues to isolate as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for coronavirus.


    Defenders Aymeric Laporte and Nathan Ake are out with muscular problems.

  • Jurgen Klopp will put friendship with Sir Alex Ferguson to one side on Sunday

    The current Reds boss and the former Manchester United manager regularly exchange messages.

    16 Jan 2021, 22:30 CET

    Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp accepts his friendship with Sir Alex Ferguson will be put to one side on Sunday.


    The current Reds boss and the former Manchester United manager regularly exchange messages but there will not be any familiarity at Anfield.


    "Alex and I, we have contact. He texts. He changes his phone number quite frequently and I always get a new version, so that's a big honour," said Klopp.


    "I always think 'Wow, I didn't change that often but maybe I should'.


    "I have a really good relationship with Sir Alex. On Sunday he wants Manchester United to win and I want Liverpool to win and that's possible."


    The relationship goes back several years to when Klopp was at Borussia Dortmund.


    Ferguson spoke to the German while he was still in the Bundesliga to ask what his future plans were but the Liverpool manager insists he has not considered what would have happened had he moved to Old Trafford instead.


    "I never thought how it would have been how it would have been at Manchester, not once, not one second, because I'm completely fine here. I'm in the right place," he added.


    "Even the weather is better in Liverpool than Manchester – and that's not easy."


    The two clubs' fortunes have been reversed somewhat as while Klopp side are the defending their first title in 30 years United have not lifted the trophy since 2013 when Ferguson was in charge.


    But while the Liverpool manager is not surprised their arch-rivals have not added to their record 20 top-flight championships he does not believe they will have to wait three decades for the next one.


    "Am I surprised they didn't win the league in the last eight years or so? No, because it can happen," he said.


    "You don't win the title because you are Man United or are Liverpool, you win the title because you are the best team in a specific season.


    "They were close to it once or twice but then City came up in a crazy way and won it a lot of times, Chelsea were still there, Leicester did it.


    "It was not a surprise they couldn't win it because if you are not in the top place and don't play the best possible football in that year you cannot win it.


    "But the potential of this club is incredible. No, I don't think it will last 30 years – but who cares, honestly?"

  • Roy Hodgson says discipline key for Crystal Palace at Manchester City

    Palace have taken four points from their last two trips to the Etihad.

    16 Jan 2021, 22:30 CET

    Roy Hodgson admits his players will once again have to show "enormous powers of concentration" and discipline if they are to continue their good run of results away at Manchester City.


    The Eagles travel to the Etihad Stadium having drawn 2-2 last season and left with a shock victory a year earlier.


    Palace will go to Manchester on the back of a goalless draw at Arsenal – a match which they could have easily won after seeing James Tomkins hit the crossbar with a header.


    Now Hodgson takes his squad north to take on a City side which has won four league games in a row and will be looking to keep the pressure on the teams above them in the table.


    "You can make it difficult for teams but it takes such an awful lot of effort on behalf of players," he said on getting results against the best teams in the league.


    "It's not so difficult to know what you've got to try and stop. That's not rocket science as such. The difficulty is dealing with the quality of the the players, the quality of their technique


    "Even if you get your tactical work right, and your positions on the field right more often than not, and people work hard to keep their positions and take up the right positions, unfortunately a (Kevin) De Bruyne in these teams you play against, can undo you.


    "That is a big danger. You do need to have such enormous powers of concentration and discipline in order to not relent, if you like, from what you are trying to do.


    "You know the other team have such good quality players, the moment they find those gaps that you've worked hard to try and plug, when they get in there, they don't miss."


    Despite some good recent results against top-six sides – including a win at Manchester United earlier in the campaign – Palace were thrashed 7-0 by Liverpool in December.


    Hodgson maintains that rout remains a "one-off" as he aims to inflict more misery on Pep Guardiola this time out.


    "That was such a one-off game, a one-off occasion, we simply have to put that in the realm of freak results," he added.


    "On that day Liverpool were exceptionally good but more importantly they took almost every goal chance that they created.


    "The players know what they are doing. They know their jobs on the field, they know what we expect of them, and as a result, if all goes well, it's more than possible that we can keep a clean sheet even against the top teams.


    "All you can do is keep working on it and keep hoping that the experience the players get from these matches, or the confidence even, will help you as you go through them."

  • Steve Bruce will not throw the towel in on Newcastle job

    The 60-year-old enjoyed success as a player at Manchester United.

    16 Jan 2021, 22:30 CET

    Steve Bruce has insisted he will not give up on a job he regards as the pinnacle of his managerial career.


    Newcastle's head coach enjoyed a successful time as a player, particularly during his period at Manchester United, but has had to work long and hard to establish himself on the other side of the fence. T


    he 60-year-old Geordie currently finds himself in the eye of a storm with the Magpies' season threatening to unravel after a run of eight games in all competitions without a victory, but he is not about to throw in the towel on his dream job.


    Bruce said: "I've waited my whole life for an opportunity like this. Certainly being from here, I regard it, in management anyway, as the pinnacle.


    "I might not have another one (manager's job) and I will try my utmost under difficult circumstances."


    Anger at Bruce's stewardship has been mounting among sections of the club's support in recent weeks, but came to a head on Tuesday night when his team turned in a submissive display against bottom-of-the-table Sheffield United and became the first this season to lose to them in the Premier League.


    Bruce, who takes Newcastle to improving Arsenal on Monday evening, said: "The other day, if I was a supporter or anyone else associated with Newcastle, I can't accept what I saw.


    "I chose this profession and how lucky have I been? I've been involved as a player for 20 years and a manager for 20 years. I've done nearly 1000 games (as a manager) 500 of them in the Premier League, and results are the key to it.


    "I can take it. You have to take it and not get too low when things are tough. I've got to keep myself positive. If I am lower than a snake's belly, how can I expect a positive reaction from the players too?


    "So, I will never, ever give up. I made a career out of being bang average as a player, I worked hard and got the best out of myself.


    "The same is true in management, I might not be blessed with this, that and the other, but I will always roll my sleeves up and get on it with. I will never walk away from a challenge, especially when you come under pressure."

  • Leicester move up to second in Premier League after battling past Southampton

    A goal in both halves was enough for the Foxes to sit one point adrift of leaders Manchester United.

    16 Jan 2021, 22:13 CET

    James Maddison and Harvey Barnes strikes sent Leicester second in the Premier League as Brendan Rodgers' side edged out victory against absentee-hit Southampton.


    The high-flying teams played out an entertaining encounter at an impressive tempo in front of empty stands at the King Power Stadium on Saturday.


    Leicester had not beaten Southampton on home soil since 2016 but Maddison's fierce strike helped them end that frustrating run, with Barnes scoring in stoppage time to wrap up a 2-0 win against Ralph Hasenhutt's men.


    Saints were without the likes of Danny Ings, Oriol Romeu and Jannik Vestergaard on Saturday evening but started on the front foot, impressing in and out of possession against the flustered Foxes.


    But Leicester cranked up the pressure towards half-time and went ahead in the 37th minute as Maddison rolled Jack Stephens and lashed past Alex McCarthy in front of watching England boss Gareth Southgate.


    Kasper Schmeichel pulled off some important saves on his 400th Leicester appearance and Stuart Armstrong rattled the crossbar in a helter-skelter second period.


    Jamie Vardy somehow failed to puncture growing tension against Southampton, who were caught out at the death by Barnes.


    Leicester will have been relieved to see out victory on a night when they were under pressure from the outset.


    Che Adams was proving a handful and raced through from the halfway line, only for his clipped cross to be cut out having kept his cool under pressure from Jonny Evans.


    Leicester were struggling to get a foothold on proceedings but looked ready to pounce if given a sniff.


    Vardy was lurking on the shoulder of a Saints defence and the striker smartly stepped over a drilled cross, allowing Barnes to get away a vicious shot that returning McCarthy denied.


    Schmeichel stopped Adams' thumping effort and Evans producing a superb recovery challenge when the striker linked up well with Theo Walcott as Saints looked for an opener that would come at the other end.


    Saints looked to have dealt with an attack that stemmed from an overlooked Wilfred Ndidi foul on Ibrahima Diallo, but the Foxes quickly recycled the ball after an initial cross was dealt with.


    Youri Tielemans' threaded a smart ball through to Maddison, who turned Stephens before hitting a fizzing effort into the roof of the net from an acute angle that beat McCarthy at his near post.


    The midfielder handed out pretend handshakes in celebration.


    Ryan Bertrand forced Schmeichel into an unorthodox stop as Saints looked to hit back immediately, with the Leicester goalkeeper again doing well to punch away a Will Smallbone effort in the early stages of the second half.


    The home side were soon raging at referee Stuart Attwell soon after an already-booked Diallo got away with hauling back Maddison.


    Smallbone was forced off with a knee issue shortly after and Vardy directed a header over as the match entered the final 30 minutes, with the veteran lifting over an audacious effort before nodding off target.


    Southampton looked to be running out of gas but went close to a 73rd-minute leveller, with Armstrong wriggling free and unleashing a 25-yard shot that came back off the bar.


    Evans pushed Shane Long as the substitute waited to head home the loose ball but the offside flag saved the defender's blushes as a penalty would surely have been awarded.


    Jan Bednarek cleared a Barnes cross-shot off the line and James Ward-Prowse fluffed his line as the frantic pattern of play continued.


    McCarthy denied Vardy from close range late on but the impressive Saints goalkeeper would be beaten again in stoppage time.


    The visitors were caught out pushing for an equaliser, with Barnes allowed through one-on-one and duly beating McCarthy.

  • Leicester see off Southampton to go second

    James Maddison and Harvey Barnes scored for the Foxes, while West Brom claimed a hugely valuable derby win over Wolves.

    16 Jan 2021, 21:59 CET

    Leicester climbed to second in the Premier League table with a 2-0 victory over Southampton at the King Power Stadium.


    James Maddison scored the opener in the 37th minute with a thumping finish from a tight angle and made a point of not celebrating with his team-mates in accordance with coronavirus restrictions.


    Harvey Barnes added a second very late on as Leicester moved to within a point of Manchester United and ahead of Liverpool and Manchester City, although all those sides play on Sunday.


    At lunchtime, Sam Allardyce oversaw a first West Brom victory in an eventful derby against Wolves.


    The 3-2 victory, secured thanks to two penalties from Matheus Pereira, was just the club's second in the Premier League this season and a big boost to the Baggies' survival hopes.


    Quickfire goals from Fabio Silva and Willy Boly had given Wolves a half-time lead after Pereira's penalty opener.


    But Albion turned the first Black Country derby for nine years around with their own rapid response, Semi Ajayi levelling with a header before Pereira's spot-kick winner soon after the break.


    Chelsea made hard work of beating 10-man Fulham for just their second league victory in seven games.


    The hosts had Antonee Robinson sent off just before half-time for a wild challenge on Cesar Azpilicueta, but Chelsea did not make the breakthrough until Mason Mount drilled in a shot in the 78th minute.


    Just outside the relegation places, Brighton climbed above Burnley with a 1-0 win over Leeds, while the Clarets lost by the same score at West Ham.


    Brighton's goal came in the 17th minute from Neal Maupay as they ended a nine-match winless run in the league.


    West Ham held on to the lead given to them in the ninth minute through Michail Antonio, with Dwight McNeil hitting the bar for Burnley late on.

  • Swansea keep the pressure on Championship leaders Norwich with win at Barnsley

    Ben Cabango and Jamal Lowe scored in each half to help Swansea move within four points of Norwich.

    16 Jan 2021, 21:51 CET

    Swansea won 2-0 at Barnsley to keep up the pressure on leaders Norwich. The hosts had the better of the first half before Ben Cabango gave Swansea the lead just before the half-time whistle was blown.


    Jamal Lowe added a second goal early in the second half.


    Jack Walton and Victor Adeboyejo both returned to Barnsley's starting line-up. Swansea boss Steve Cooper made one change with Kyle Naughton recalled in place of Ryan Manning.


    New signing Ben Hamer was named among the substitutes following his move from Huddersfield.


    Swansea goalkeeper Freddie Woodman came out of his area early on to clear as Adeboyejo threatened.


    And the forward then fired over from the edge of the area with Marc Guehi in close attendance as Barnsley applied early pressure.


    Adeboyejo was making a nuisance of himself and he was in the thick of the action again, firing in a low shot from the right-hand side of the area which was saved by Woodman at his near post.


    Following the resulting corner, Conor Chaplin saw his goal-bound shot blocked in a packed penalty area.


    As the hosts continued to threaten, Chaplin's attempted through-ball just evaded Cauley Woodrow.


    Callum Styles fired a low 20-yard drive on target but it was straight at Woodman who made a comfortable save.


    However, Swansea took the lead against the run of play in first-half stoppage time when a long throw from Connor Roberts was met by a glancing header from Cabango, with the ball going inside Walton's right-hand post.


    A mix-up in defence between Michal Helik and Mads Andersen led to the visitors increasing their lead in the 55th minute, with Lowe seizing on the loose ball and shooting past the exposed Walton.


    Barnsley made a double substitution in the 62nd minute with Herbie Kane and Chaplin replaced by Romal Palmer and Carlton Morris.


    The latter was making his Barnsley debut after signing from Norwich. Barnsley skipper Alex Mowatt saw his deflected shot loop over the bar before Woodman then came to his side's rescue, making a superb save to keep out Callum Brittain's rasping drive.


    Walton was called into action at the other end, clawing away Roberts' curling free-kick.


    Another double substitution for the home side saw Adeboyejo and Michael Sollbauer make way for Luke Thomas and Toby Sibbick.


    Barnsley threw men forward in the closing stages but they were unable to find a way through.


    Swansea, who stretched their unbeaten run to six matches, are now four points behind Norwich.